Tax Season 2018
What are the deadlines?
|Channel||Deadline||Type of Taxpayer|
|Manual – post or at SARS branch||21 September 2018||Non-provisional and provisional|
|eFiling or electronic filing at SARS branch ||31 October 2018||Non-provisional|
|eFiling||31 January 2019||Provisional|
|To download the Tax Season 2018 key dates directly into your calendar, click here.|
Tips for filing your tax return
Don’t file if you don’t need to
- Your total employment income / salary for the year (March 2017 to February 2018) before tax (gross income) was not more than R350 000; and
- You only received employment income / salary for the full year of assessment (March 2017 to February 2018) from one employer; and
- You have no car allowance/company car/ travel allowance or other income (e.g. interest or rental income); and
- You are not claiming tax related deductions/rebates (e.g. medical expenses, retirement annuity contributions other than pension contributions made by your employer, travel).
Top tip: If you have your Identity Number and Tax Number you can now also call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277; press 3 (for a tax related enquiry) and then select 1 to find out whether you are required to submit an Income Tax Return (ITR12) this Tax Season.
How to retrieve your eFiling login details and reset your password
- Go to SARS eFiling click the green LOGIN button and follow the prompts.
Forgot both your login name and password? First complete the I forgot my login name process > wait for your email or SMS notification containing your login name > use this login name to complete the I forgot my password process.
- Call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277 during office hours. Have your ID number and tax reference number on hand. Press service menu option 0 and follow the prompts. Your new password will be sent to you by email or SMS.
Register For eFiling
You must be a registered taxpayer with a tax reference number to register for eFiling.
Go to SARS eFiling > click Register > follow the 7 easy steps.
Remember, SARS may need 48 hours to verify and approve your registration you can eFile.
If you need to submit documents for your registration, you have 21 business days to do so.
Need help to eFile?
With Help-You-eFile, help is just a click or a call away. Click the Help-You-eFile icon, accept the term and conditions and select Call Me. A SARS agent will call you and will help you every step of the way while you’re eFiling. (This service is available during office hours only.)
Need your Tax Reference Number?
- Get it on eFiling if you are registered as an eFiler. Simply login and locate your number on the Income Tax work page.
- Request it verbally from the SARS Contact Centre. Have your ID number on hand as we will have to authenticate who you are.
- Ask your employer for it.
- Visit your nearest SARS branch. Please take along your ID.
- Get it on the Notice of Registration you received from the SARS.
Who is a Provisional Taxpayer?
- If you receive interest of less than R23 800 if you are under 65; or
- If you receive interest of less than R34 500 if you are 65 and older or;
- You have income in a tax free savings account.