SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR FILING
Documentation required to complete your return
Supporting documents are required to complete an income tax return. Below is a list of documentation/information that may be required:
- IRP5/IT3(a) Employees Tax Certificate (if applicable)
- Certificates received for local interest income, foreign interest income and foreign dividend income
- If you are married in community of property, the certificates received by both you (the taxpayer) and your spouse are required
- If you married out of community of property, only the certificates that you receive are required.
- Documents relating to medical expenditure such as:
- The income tax certificate from your medical scheme received for the period 1 March 2016 and ending 28 February 2017 (if you belong to a medical scheme)
- Proof of qualifying medical expenses paid by you and not recovered from a medical scheme
- Completed ITR-DD Confirmation of Diagnosis of Disability form (if you want to claim disability related expenses).
- The income tax certificate(s) received from the financial institution to which contributions for retirement annuities were made.
- If you received a travel allowance or a fringe benefit for an employer provided vehicle, you must have a logbook to claim the business travel deductions.
- All information relating to capital gain transactions (local and foreign)
- Documents and receipts for commission related expenditure including a logbook to claim business travel deductions
- All information relating to the letting of assets
- Financial statements for trading and farming activities (if applicable)
- Any other documents relating to income that must be declared or deductions that may be claimed